What is plantar fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is a very common heel problem that causes heel pain and discomfort. The plantar fascia is the ligament that supports your arch by connecting your heel to your toes. Plantar fasciitis happen if your plantar fascia gets strains or takes serious impacts and make yours heels feel pain, weak and become inflamed. Plantar fasciitis often happens on people who are working on their feet with high intensity. The more you are on your feet, the worst the problems are.
What is the cause?
The main reason that plantar fasciitis happen is that your feet took too much impact and the result is your plantar fascia is damaged. There are a lot of different cause. Such as
- You have high arches or flat feet. In this case, you should get yourself a good pair of shoes support or insole to reduce the impact your feet take.
- Walking, running a long period of time. This is a very common cause of plantar fasciitis.
- Your weight is too much for your feet to handle. You should lessen your weight immediately. Overweight also causes others heart disease so keep your weight under control.
- You have excessive pronation. Normal feet are tent to spread the weight evenly over your feet surface. But in excessive pronation ones, the weight is focused on the inner side of your foot. This makes people with excessive pronation easier to get plantar fasciitis.
- Your shoes don’t fit. In this case, you need to replace your shoes or use a pair of insoles.
How to prevent it?
So what can you do to prevent this from happening?
- First, control your weight. Don’t get yourself overweight. This could help you avoid other health problems.
- Take a good care of your feet. Wear shoes with good cushion and support. Don’t overwork your feet.
- Use an orthotic insole. This is the best insole for plantar fasciitis It is usually made of rubber, plastic or others elastic material. It corrects and strengthens your foot position in running.
- Exercise slowly with your feet. Don’t make it working intensively in a long time. Gradually increase the level of exercise for your feet to get used to.
How to cure it?
If you are experiencing this, the fastest way to cure plantar fasciitis permanently is doing a surgery. But many doctor advice you should try nonsurgical method first. If all method fails to cure your foot then you should do a surgery.
- Stop all your activities relate too much to your foot or cause your foot pain.
- Use a massage ball to reduce the pain. Or use other massage technique.
- Doing toes stretch, ligament stretch on your free time every day.
- When the pain come, you can use ice to apply on the pain area.
- Remember to go see your doctor as soon as possible.
About 90% of people have plantar fasciitis don’t need surgery to cure their feet. So you should try nonsurgical methods for at least 6 months before doing surgery.